Best Tips to Secure a Scholarship to Study in the USA
The USA is one of the best places to study abroad. This is due to obvious reasons such as world power, better opportunities after school, meeting world-class individuals, etc. Schooling in the USA can be relatively expensive and that is why most people go for scholarships to support their schooling. Scholarships in the USA can either be fully or partly funded.
There is a wide range of scholarships in the USA to apply for and some of them include:
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program: Fulbright offers scholarships for graduate students, young professionals, and artists to study in the US for one year or more. It’s open to international students in all fields excluding medicine.
- Hubert Humphrey Fellowship Program: This is a non-degree scholarship program for international and experienced professionals wishing to undertake 10 months of academic study in the US. Although the funding doesn’t support degree qualifications, students can study and develop their knowledge at academic institutions across the nation.
Some Non-governmental US scholarships for international students include:
- #YouAreWelcomeHere Scholarship: This is aimed at all overseas students studying any subject at a participating college or university in the US (of which there are 57). You would be required to submit an essay or video demonstrating your interest and initiative in promoting intercultural learning and exchange. Always be conscious of time while applying for this scholarship.
- Civil Society Leadership Awards: This is a Fully-funded scholarship and is available for students from eligible countries to study in the US or another host country at the master’s level.
- David P. Shapiro Autism Scholarship – A scholarship worth US$1,000 open to current or prospective students in the US diagnosed with autism.
- Preply Scholarship: For this scholarship, three winners will receive an award of up to $2,000. It’s open to all students (domestic and international, and at any study level) aged between 16 and 35. To enter, you’ll need to submit a 500-word essay related to online education, multilingualism, and professional development.
- Surfshark Privacy and Security Scholarship: For this scholarship, there’s a $2,000 prize available to students currently enrolled in the US or another study destination as a high school, undergraduate, or graduate student. You will need to submit an essay to apply and the scholarship is open to all nationalities.
- Tortuga Backpacks Study Abroad Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded twice a year to passionate international students wishing to study in the US. It is worth US$1,000.
Tips for getting a scholarship in the US
- Do your research well: While doing your research, know where to look, and do not allow yourself to be misinformed. Expaat.com; the home of scholars can be relied upon to provide you the necessary information you need as regards scholarship in USA.
- Find your unique selling point: What will make you stand out? how would you communicate that well?
As you know, getting a scholarship in the USA can be very competitive, people all over the world are also looking towards that direction and for you to stand out and be selected, you need to show what makes you unique.
It could be your academic background, your artistic skills, your leadership abilities, your sports skills, etc. Find a way to portray this in your application and if it requires you to show evidence, please do.
Don’t just take chances, no country likes to allow people that would be a liability into their country.
- Polish your application, read the application information carefully, no mistakes: This is where a lot of people flop. Making mistakes can start from where you get the information and it can then extend to your applications process.
My advice is to be as accurate as possible and follow instructions duly. If it requires you to seek the perusal of someone experienced, please do.
Don’t just leave your application to chance.
- Be realistic: This may sound controversial but the truth is, it won’t be easy to get the kind of scholarship you want in the USA due to the high competition. You should be determined to get what you want, but then, be open to being flexible. Something may come up along the line as you’re applying for a scholarship in USA. Sometimes, something lesser than what you want would be most appropriate for you. Do not only set goals that would favor you, set goals that are suitable for your condition. Be realistic.
- Get feedback from people: The importance of a third party to review your application cannot be overemphasized. Always seek higher knowledge, always consult people that are more experienced. With that, you would avoid the mistakes that these people must have made and it will give you a higher chance of being accepted.
- Have what it takes: This is like the major thing. You cannot be accepted in a place you’re not suitable for. Therefore, know your place and make sure you got what it takes to get a scholarship in USA. What it takes might be an excellent academic record, good leadership skills, artistic skills, sports skills, etc. If you have one or more of these, you’re good to go.
- Start on time: Time is of the essence. Time favors those who respect it and applying for a scholarship in USA is no exception. There’s no time too early to apply for scholarships. If you’re in your last year in high school, you should start sending out your application the moment you’ve already decided on what degree to take in college.
- Stay motivated: This will drive you to keep pushing even when things are not moving as you want. Staying motivated will keep you consistent and focused.
Hidden things you should know about applying for scholarships in the USA
- Scholarships are not only awarded to people with the best grades. There’s is room for people with other unique abilities like sportsmanship, art, leadership, etc. There’s also a provision for people that cannot afford to pay tuition. Isn’t it the whole idea of a scholarship to give financial support to students who want to study?
It is advisable to get your visa ready. A visa permits you to go to the US and study, a scholarship supports your study. Applying for scholarships before getting a visa is like putting the cart before the wheel. Having a visa already would give you a higher chance of being accepted for a scholarship in USA.
You should get a visa before applying for scholarships or you can even pursue both simultaneously, just make sure you’re ready whenever the opportunity comes
- Education in us is top rated. You will be highly regarded when you study in the US. This is because the US is the world power and there are so many opportunities over there. Don’t miss the opportunity to be top-rated, apply for scholarships in the US.
- Most scholarships in us are offered by schools. Most schools in the US offer scholarships to international students. It is left for you to access this information and apply accordingly. For any school you’re applying for, check on their website thoroughly to see if there’s an opening for scholarships.
The best way to know is to know from the right source, school websites are usually the right source.
- You must prove that you can support yourself. Whether you get a scholarship or not, you must prove that you’re financially stable to take care of yourself in the US. This is taken seriously because no country would allow people that would cause a nuisance to them by engaging in illegal activities to get money. While applying for scholarships in USA, be sure to also have a financial backing. This would favor you in your application.
- Go local, if you’re a resident of the US: If you live in the US, you would have a higher chance of being accepted by schools in your area. Don’t look too farther, what you want is within your area.
FAQs on getting scholarships in USA
Is getting a scholarship in USA difficult?
As with any opportunity that involved paying little or no money, there is high competition when it comes to applying for scholarships in the US. This is coupled with the fact that the US is everybody’s dream place to study.
Getting a scholarship in the US is competitive which can make it difficult but it shouldn’t discourage you. With the right push and resilience, you can get what you want.
What time is best to apply for scholarship in USA
The time to apply for scholarships in USA depends on the particular scholarship you’re applying for. Always seek to know the time frame for any scholarship.
Also remember that you can’t be too early in your application, apply as soon as you decide on the school and course to study.
Getting a scholarship is competitive and so you must apply well ahead of time. I recommend you start with the procedure about 8-12 months before the preferred intake begins.
What are the requirements for getting a scholarship in USA?
The most important requirement for most scholarships is a good academic score, however, it also depends on factors such as your chosen destination, subject, and level. In some partial scholarships, factors like extracurricular activities, and volunteering can also be used to advantage.
Keep in mind that every scholarship has its eligibility criteria. In some, a mere application may be enough, while for others you may have to fulfil several other conditions. For instance, in research-centric programs, you may have to submit written assignments. Do not hesitate to contact the university admission center if you have any doubts.
Do I need an agent to help me get a scholarship in USA
The good thing about going through an agent while applying for scholarships in USA is that you would receive the utmost guidance. You won’t have to struggle to do certain things that the application required because most of the time these agents help you out.
There are a lot of scholarship agents in the US, it is left for you to do your research and hire anyone that suits your preference.
You mustn’t go through an agent to help you get a scholarship in USA but getting an agent would make things easier for you.
Do I need a visa to apply?
Most of the time, they would need to be sure you’re eligible to go to the US before offering you a scholarship and the best way to show you’re eligible is getting a visa.
So yes, you would need a visa, although the requirements vary with the particular scholarship you’re applying for. Some would not need your visa as a requirement, but still, you would need the visa before you enter the US.
Either way, you need a visa.
Conclusion on scholarships in USA
In conclusion, the US is a wonderful place to school, and getting a scholarship would make it easier for you. By all means, do everything you have to do to secure a scholarship in USA, it would give you an edge on a global scale.
Go on, apply for that scholarship of your dreams and win!