The world has gone digital and most of the things done manually can now be done online. You can now save yourself time and stress and apply for jobs online through online job platforms.
A lot of job platforms have sprung up in this regard. The majority of people now search for jobs online.
Most of these job search platforms let you create a profile and post a resume and they notify you when they find jobs that match your saved job searches.
Why apply for jobs through job platforms?
Doing things online has made things easier and faster. With an online job application, you can apply for a lot of jobs within a short time. This saves you the time and energy of applying for jobs the traditional way.
What are these job platforms?
A job platform is a website where you apply for jobs. On the website, there would be a list of job postings and all you have to do is to create a complete profile, upload your resume and customize your job search. Not only do you apply for one-time jobs on these job platforms, but you can also receive continuous job alerts according to your preferences.
Top job platforms to apply for jobs
These top job platforms include;
This is the most popular job platform all over the world. This may be because it is easier to operate than any other job platform. You just have to set up your job alerts, submit your resume, and register for a single-click application. It is the largest job website in the world, boasting over 250 million monthly users with 10 new job listings added every second.
Its large size, large industry service, and frequent job listings have set it apart from the crowd. It has proven to be the best.
The good thing about Monster is that you can block your resume from current employers. Currently, 29 resumes are uploaded and 7,900 job search queries are entered on Monster every minute, every single day. It is also a large job platform with frequent job listings. It also caters to job seekers across all industries and experience levels (entry, intermediate, and expert)
Flexxjob has the mission of creating flexible jobs for people all over the world. The job platform has become the largest site for remote jobs, with nearly 30,000 active listings from almost 6,000 companies across the globe. FlexJobs’s specialization in remote opportunities made it the best website for finding remote jobs.
This platform is not only for learning about salaries and company reviews. You could save job searches and get notified when there’s a similar job around you. Glassdoor boasts 1.9 million employers in its database, 100 million company reviews and insights, and over 11 million job listings. Job seekers can simultaneously search for open jobs and read detailed information on each company’s culture, CEO, benefits, and salary data, making the job platform a place to search for your dream work.
This Job platform is known as “the home of $100K careers”. Ladders were founded in 2003 and is focused on providing vetted job listings for job positions that pay at least $100,000 per year. It is the best site for experienced career people who are looking for high-paying jobs. It caters to a lot of sectors including finance, software engineering, digital marketing, human resources, data science, and industrial engineering for major firms such as Morgan Stanley, Google, and Cigna.
6. Career builder
As the name sounds, this platform doesn’t just give you a list of jobs to apply for, it helps you build your career. It matches the job to you according to the keywords in your resume. There are also tests on the platform to access your expertise.
7. Linkedin jobs
LinkedIn launched in 2003 and is now the world’s largest professional networking platform, with nearly 800 million registered users from around the world and across all industries. You can only do as much as create job alerts, customize your profile and then relax. Jobs would start pouring in according to your profile and job alerts.
8. Google jobs
With Google jobs, you just need to simply search for a job title, e.g. digital marketing job. Google would bring up a list of matching jobs near you. You can manage your alerts from there.
9. Angel list
This is the best job platform for working in startups and getting entry-level jobs. The platform caters to remote and local job seekers in a variety of tech sectors, such as online publishing, health and beauty apps, and fintech.
10. Get work
This job platform updates its job postings every single day, making it the best choice for those looking to be the first to apply to newly listed opportunities. It caters to fields like education, finance, healthcare, law, marketing, and tech. As the name implies, it is a job platform to get work (pun intended).
This one streamlines your job searches to only jobs without salaries. They specialize in jobs that pay hourly. Snagajob mainly posts hourly roles in healthcare, customer service, hospitality, retail sales, security, and food delivery. Job seekers can search for remote or local roles with the option to filter listings by those that are “Urgently Hiring and paying hourly ” They also suggest similar jobs that match your profile.
12. Simply hired
This job platform has a reputation for having a beautiful user interface. It is a place where you apply for jobs with the hope of being hired most easily and simply. It works like other job platforms; you create a profile, set up notifications, and start getting alerts.
This job platform is unique in its approach. They go beyond resume and work experience to a job seeker’s personal attributes. While signing up, you’re not required to post just your resume, skills, and experience, you would also need to answer the personality questions on the platform. This makes your profile complete and that is what the company would use to send job alerts your way.
This one lets you customize your resume to fit a particular job you’re applying for. There’s no feature for uploading a single resume on the site. With this job platform, you keep on uploading resumes according to a particular role you’re applying for. This is the best job platform for applying to specific roles.
- Just Remote
- Dynamite jobs
- Working nomads
- Career Builder
- Link up
Alternatives to job platforms
It’s not every time that you get job searches, you can also leverage other means. The end goal is to get the job that suits your preference. These other means include:
- Your network: The people in your network is a driving force to your success. Your network knows you better than you can portray on any job platform. They can hire or even recommend you for jobs that they know you can do. Don’t joke with building your network, they are the most intimate job platform you can have.
- Go in person: This could be physically or via cold email or straight on the company’s website. The traditional way of getting jobs hasn’t faded, it only got better. That being said, going directly through the company is still the best way of getting jobs. You would allow these companies to know you in person other than through a third-party job platform. This would include better trust and a better chance of being hired.
- Have an attractive social media profile: Who you are on social media speaks more of you than the resume you upload on these job platforms. Optimize your social media profiles, have a clear and attractive bio and present yourself as a professional. This would attract employers to you. This act alone would have you stressed about applying to many jobs on these job platforms and it would give you a higher chance of being hired.
Tips to get your dream job from these job platforms
- Customize your resume to fit the particular job, don’t use one CV for every job search. There’s a thing called ATS(Automatic Tracking System) and it is software used to review job applications and resumes. ATS would reject your CV if it’s not optimized for the particular job on the job platform. Keep in mind that for every job you’re applying for, there are things (keywords) required to be in your resume. Use the information on the job description to create a CV that would fit that job search. This will give you a higher chance of being hired.
- Complete your profile and put on the notification. People who have all their details and experience together tend to get a job faster through a job platform. Employers would be pleased to see everything they want in your profile, don’t miss that chance of making a good first impression. Also, set up notifications on these job platforms so you don’t miss out on any job opportunities.
- Don’t be so busy applying for jobs that you fail to follow up on the offers you already have. Once you start applying for jobs on these job platforms, you would start getting offers. How you follow up on these offers would determine if you would land your dream job or not. More than applying for more jobs, seek to seal the deal on the offers you already have.
Summary of the best Job platforms
In summary; LinkedIn, Google, indeed, and Glassdoor are top of the rank for finding jobs.
The good thing about LinkedIn is that you have the opportunity to meet and chat with your recruiter even before they hire you.
Google customizes your job alerts according to your search.
With Glassdoor, you learn about salaries and company reviews. This will help you decide if you want to work for a company or not.
Indeed, the large network of recruiters and wide range of industry postings would give you more opportunities to get your dream job.
It’s not necessary to sign up for all the job boards on the Internet, you can sign up for just 2 or 3.
This will keep your inbox clean and free from spam. You can even get a different email for receiving job alerts.
Also, don’t just hope on online job platforms, go offline, and opt for the alternatives, the traditional method never fades, it just gets better.
Keep following us at expaat.com for job, career, and scholarship updates.